Saturday, May 10, 2014

I was "hooked"

After a well received crooked heart from my wife, I was thinking of blacksmithing all day, all days, creating crazy sculptures and utensils on my head, but I realized that if I was to make this right I had to start from the beginning, and, as most blacksmiths, I started making simple wall hooks and "S" hooks.
Although hooks are banal, look and are kind of easy to make, they are great exercises when developing blacksmithing skills, you have to make it square to draw it out to a point, than make it octagonal so you can take it to round again, making scrolls, learn how to use the beak of an anvil (although I had to settle to an rail road track anvil with no beak) and finally hot punching.
My first scroll came out great! I was really impressed on how on earth I didn't screw it! Here they are:









I know they don't look perfect, but keep in mind they were the firsts I made, and if you call them "rustic" they're perfect ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment