What happens when a blacksmith gets wood? It might not be pretty, but he gets things done!! Wait, that came out wrong....
Any way, I had this hammer head for a long time and never knew what to do with it, I planned to restore it, but it just felt wrong to reshape it, clean it to perfection and make it shiny.
The other day I found a brunch of olive tree near my shop and decided it was time to make the hammer justice. I shaped the brunch into a handleish type of thing with one of the deadliest, most dangerous and vicious hand tools known to man.. well, at least for myself, I'm really scared of using that thing (last picture). After rough shaping the handle I used a rasp to give it the final shape and finally sanded it to a "comfortable smood all day in the hand" finish. For the hammer head it self, I cleaned it up with a wire brush wheel, reshaped and polished the faces so it can be used, oiled it up and it's ready for use. I think it is (hoping it is) real wrought iron, and if it is, this thing is really old. The way it is balanced it's perfect for bladesmithing, it resembles the Japanese dog face hammer with a heavy forward action on the small face, perfect for bevel profiling and a big square face like European pattern hammers for planishing the blade.
Overall I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
Overall I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
And here it is the mighty tool of doom! In Portuguese it's called an "enchó" and its used one handed with a razor sharp edge. You're supposed to hold the piece of wood you're working in one hand against a stump and with an axe type of cutting action make some shavings until you have the desired shape. One false move, a miss calculation and you loose a finger or a thumb in a blink of an eye.
It's a great tool to shave some wood quickly, but it takes some practice and concentration in order to keep yourself intact.









No comments:
Post a Comment